Sunday, May 17, 2009

Stuffing the Swamp Cooler

I took advantage of being near civilization (a Wal-Mart) while traveling to Reno this week. I picked up a few things for my evaporative cooler. New pump and pads got installed just after the sun popped over the mountains this morning. Also cleaned out several years worth of crud built up in the bottom pan and lubricated the 1/2hp motor and squirrel cage fan. I have thoughts on installing another header and set of pads behind the first to increase the efficiency but we'll see how this does first. One thing I did find out about the pads----they are made out of shredded aspen trees. This is the same stuff that they use to pack things like bottles, cheese, and dishes in since I was a kid and way before that. Now you see this in "upscale" packaging but these pads were dirt-cheap ~$3 a piece for a 30"x36"x1" pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment